When I was watching a video on grinding cornmeal, it dawned on me that corn has got to be one of the most wonderful resources we have!
- Not only does it feed us, it feeds our animals, it feeds the soil.
- It is eaten fresh, it is eaten cooked, it can be fried, baked, and boiled.
- It can be dried for grinding, cooked and frozen, canned, and dehydrated.
- It can be ground into several types of traditional American foods: corn flour, cornmeal, grits.
- Even the leftovers from grinding is useful to the animals or to put back into the soil.
- And it can also be made into hominy!
- The husks are used to make tamales.
- Cornsilk is medicinal!
- Masa Harina (used for arepas, tamales, tortillas, etc.) comes from corn.
- Corn dolls!
- Corncob pipes.