SIMPLE WAYS TO CLEAN
There are many things I consider very useful, that might seem a bit old fashioned, but they are tried and true:
~Bleach, Oh my goodness, did I say bleach?? It has become a naughty word in some circles! Well - it cleans, it whitens, it kills germs, bacteria, fungus, kills nasty smells and it is safe to bathe in according to my Herbalist! So why not whiten white linens and t-shirts? Why not whiten your white porcelain sink, and get rid of ugly yellowing? Dishes sparkle after soaking in a sink full of hot water and a couple tablespoons of bleach...Lime deposits go away off of glassware...hmm! The only reason chlorine is said to be bad for the environment is when it is used and allowed to run off into streams, rivers and perhaps public septic systems...But Chlorine evaporates...In it's raw form it is a GAS. When it is mixed with water it still evaporates, only more slowly I would assume. It is in our drinking water...It is in public swimming pools.
~Octagon Soap...Yes, it is still available.
~White toothpaste for cleaning white shoes (mostly patent leather) the sole of white tennis shoes for scuff marks on tile or linoleum
~There is something to be said for using a little elbow grease as well...Very therapeutic!
~Just so everyone won't think I'm too fogey... I do love using essential oils and natural homemade products as well!! My favorite is Sweet Orange! There are tons of resources online for homemade cleaning recipes using EO's. But I'll add a few of my own as time allows!
~Some stains are resistant to the harsh chemical cleaners as well...We have an old claw-foot tub that has mineral stains, and "nothing" has cut through those stains! We tried lemon juice, baking soda, salt, Brillo pads, bleach, even rust remover (which did leave white streaks, but I only used one small bottle) The dangers listed were just too harsh, so I figured I'd just live with the stains rather than take the risk ...And also my husband took an electric sander to it!! Nothing has worked!! Short of sandblasting, I guess I'll just have to live with it, as it is too expensive to get it refinished.
~Another stain that is tough, is mildew on clothing...I've read where lemon juice and salt gets rid of it, but I beg to differ! Very rarely will it come out, so be very careful about letting clothes, sheets, or other fabric get damp and staying damp for very long! Mold and mildew will set up and you might as well throw it away.*
*Since writing this I HAVE found a product that will get RID of mold and mildew!!! Of course use caution as to what color/types of material/fabric you use it on.
~CLOROX CLEAN-UP with BLEACH, in the green bottle.